From USD 428...
The Barton County Health Department, working in cooperation with the Kansas Department of Health and Environment, will shorten quarantine recommendations from 14 days to 10 days (with no symptoms) moving forward. While there is still potential to develop symptoms in days 11-14, the risk is reduced. This change is effective as of Dec. 7 and is not retroactive. Meaning, there will be no change on the duration of quarantine for orders issued before Dec. 7.
USD 428 will follow the 10-day quarantine recommendation for anyone determined to be a close contact with a confirmed case and has exhibited no symptoms during their quarantine. For added safety for staff and students, anyone returning from quarantine on day 11 will be asked to check-in with the nurse upon arrival at school for additional screening until past the 14-day mark. The nurse will do an additional temperature check beyond the door check and will ask a series of questions to make sure the student is not starting to exhibit symptoms. We also ask parents and students to screen before coming to school to avoid risking any additional exposure to other people.
Day 11-14 Return to School Procedure:
Students will be temperature screened at the door, like all students. Upon arrival, students returning from quarantine will report to the nurse each day on day 11, 12, 13, and 14 for additional screening:
- Temperature check (ear, oral, etc.)
- Are you experiencing any of the following symptoms:
- Have you had a fever of 100 or more or symptoms of fever such as chills or shivering in the last 72 hours?
- Have you had a cough not otherwise explained?
- Have you had difficulty breathing?
- Have you had a new loss of taste or smell?
- Have you had other symptoms indicating an oncoming illness?
- Have you had new exposure to anyone who has tested positive for Coronavirus?